My wife and I purchased 18 acres of land that was adjacent to our current property. It is mostly a stand of pines, but before the previous owner sold it he logged off a small 1/3 acre section right smack dab in the middle of the property. I was originally going to just let it grow up in briars and weeds, but after thinking about it I thought i would make a nice little secluded food plot.
We started on it in January. Pushing all the leftover brush into a big pile and burning it.
After that I didn't really touch it until spring time. I raked a ton of needles and smaller brush out to get it down to bare dirt. Then I took soil samples and purchased a soil kit from Whitetail Institute. If anyone needs soil testing done I would highly recommend them. I got my results back via email within 48 hours and it shows exactly what needs to be done to the soil to bring it up to par. Here are the results.
It was an old pine stand, so I knew it was going to need alot of lime to get it up to par. The testing called for 3 ton per acre. I calculated out that I needed a ton for my plot. That's about 3 bags per 10x10 foot area! It was thick! Was happy that it didn't need a lot of fertilizer, only 25 lbs.
After that I had it tilled in by my wife's uncle. I decided to plate Whitetail Institute Imperial Whitetail Clover. High protein for the fall and spring months and sure to draw in both deer and turkeys.
Here's the finished plot. More updates to come when it starts turning green!