Post by mdtreehugger on Jul 26, 2017 7:14:33 GMT -5
Heat lamps are hot and can cause fires. We nearly learned the hard way last night. My husband was just finishing cutting the grass when he saw smoke coming from the shed where the turkey brooder is. The lamp had fallen in and ignited some of the bedding. Thankfully he caught it quickly and was able to remove the lamp and put the fire out before any real damage was done. Our high humidity probably helped as well, preventing all the bedding from igniting. Thankfully the turkeys seemed blissfully unaware of there close brush with death. Myself, I am still a little shell shocked, so the turkeys are just going to have to deal without it, this morning when I checked them they didn't seem to miss the heat any. Be CAREFULL with these darn things!
Those lamps have always made me nervous, had a family we were close to lost their home several years ago when they were using one to keep little puppies warm. I never use one now that isn't fastened solid. Glad you guys caught that before something bad happenedy.