I've put off re-doing the bell area in the front lawn for about 7 years, and finally, my better half and parents said..."Let's get it done Saturday". And, we did.
It took a couple hours and 4 cartloads to dig out all the dirt, grass, weed barrier, and years of old mulch, back down to bare ground.
I obtained some thick rubber matting from work (for free) and we used that for a weed barrier.
From out back, I grabbed an old half barrel and bench we bought about 5 years ago, and repurposed them in this area. We moved the rocks back in, and added ten bags of pine nuggets. Also planted a dwarf spruce. It wasn't an easy project, but glad it's done. I think it turned out great, and is no longer an eyesore pulling into the drive.